If you’re somewhat related to the hospitality sector you can easily relate to the fact that hospitality management is one of the most complex – and most rewarding – leadership careers that exists on this sweet planet. In this intricate industry you’re not only delivering a service but also, you’re creating exceptional experiences for your valuable guests, whether they’re business travelers, moms out for a girls’ weekend or high school students traveling for a band competition or a bunch of millennial backpackers.
You’re aiding the guests to create memories; and to do that it takes a touch of inspiration and motivation. It’s quite common that inspirational quotes trigger something within us when we read them. They activate our emotions and sometimes when they resonate with us they increase our pulse and get our juices flowing in the right place and direction, whether creative or critical thinking. To create that particular spark, we’ve compiled the following words of wisdom from some of the giants in the hospitality industry.
1. “Train people well enough so they can leave, treat them well enough so they don't want to.” — Sir Richard Branson, founder of Virgin Hotels
2. “Hospitality is almost impossible to teach. It's all about hiring the right people.” — Danny Meyer, CEO of Union Square Hospitality Group
3. “Motivate them, train them, care about them, and make winners out of them... they'll treat the customers right. And if customers are treated right, they'll come back.” — J. Willard Marriott, founder of the Marriott Corporation
4. “All of the razzmatazz and jazz we hear about facilities and everything else doesn’t amount to a hill of beans. It’s customer experience that determines the longevity and endurance of these enterprises.” — Steve Wynn, founder of Wynn Resorts
5. ''A hotel should relieve travelers of their insecurity and loneliness. It should make them feel warm and cozy.'' — Bill Kimpton, founder of Kimpton Hotel and Restaurant Group
6. "It has been, and continues to be, our responsibility to fill the earth with the light and warmth of hospitality." — Conrad Hilton, founder of Hilton Hotels
7. “I’ve identified the four key strategic decisions that formed the rock-solid foundation of Four Seasons. These are now known as the four pillars of our business model. They are quality, service, culture, and brand.” — Isadore Sharp, founder and chairman of Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts
8. “The four most important words in the English language are, ‘What do you think?’ Listen to your people and learn.” — J.W. “Bill” Marriott, Jr., Executive Chairman and Chairman of the Board of Marriott International, Inc.
9. “Never say no when a client asks for something, even if it is the moon. You can always try, and anyhow there is plenty of time afterwards to explain that it was not possible.” — César Ritz, King of luxury hotels, Ritz-Carlton
10. “I think of culture as guardrails. The culture of a company is what you stand for, essentially the ground rules so that people know how to operate. You give them a direction and boundaries. The trick is having an intense alignment around vision, mission, values and the key strategic priorities. My job as CEO, simply stated, is to create the right culture, set the tone, the high-level strategy.” — Christopher J. Nassetta, president and chief executive of Hilton Worldwide
11. “The important thing is to engage guests in the hotel. Don’t go in saying you know this and you know that, and this is the way it will be. Listening is critical to leadership, and so is staying authentic. You do that and you will get loyalty, and then your role as a leader will be easy.” — Mark Hoplamazian, CEO, Hyatt Hotels Corporation
12. “Keep your egos in check, and let the people who work for you shine. Because they’re the people who know our customers best, the people we depend on to lead the way. It’s no longer ‘Do as I say.’ It’s ‘Do as I do.” — Isadore Sharp
13. “Don’t hire people to fill a position, select people to fulfill a dream and to serve a purpose.” —Horst Schulze, former president of The Ritz Carlton Hotels and CEO of Capella Hotel Group
14. “You can learn everything that there is to know about the industry or the player from the company that is performing better or worse.” — Barry Sternlicht
15. “Remember, a person who wins success in hospitality may have been counted out many times before. He wins because he refuses to give up.” — Kemmons Wilson, founder of the Holiday Inn
16. “There is only one boss. The Guest. And he can fire everybody in the company from the chairman on down, simply by spending his money somewhere else”. — Mr. Moriarty, CEO of Hotel Casanova Venezia
17. “Hospitality is simply an opportunity to show love and care” — Julia Sugarbaker
18. “Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.” — Conrad Hilton
19. “Our people are our greatest asset. We’ve got to have strong people who are passionate about what they do. As a leader, you’ve got to motivate them.” — Gail Mendel, president and CEO for Wyndham Destination Network
20. “The key is to set realistic customer expectations and then not to just meet them, but to exceed them — preferably in unexpected and helpful ways.” — César Ritz, King of luxury hotels
These hospitality management quotes will keep you updated and will always motivate you to do something good in the hotel industry. For more hospitality related news follow our blogs and stay up-to-date and ahead of your contemporaries, forever.