Technology in the hotel industry continues to advance at a rapid pace and hotel management system (HMS) remains essential for hotel managers looking to improve the running of their business. With such installed system or software, a hotel operator can quickly streamline their administrative processes and betterize their overall system for hotel management. The key to reaping the benefits of an effective hotel management software system is to select the right one for your property. It’s critical that you know exactly what this hotel management technology is, and why it is important for you to implement it at your hotel. Technology is making deep inroads into the hospitality industry, and hotels across the world are looking to use technology to make operation smooth and efficient.
The quest for performance and efficiency in the hospitality industry has given rise to the development of a host of hotel management systems. These are also popularly known as Property Management System (PMS) – if you are looking at a larger, more comprehensive management system. In the early 90s Gartner, an information technology research and advisory firm, came up with the term PMS to denote property management software/system which automates a large number of business function such as human resource, finance, accounting, supply-chain management, etc.
What’s a hotel management system?
Hotel management software is technology that allows hotel operators and owners to streamline their administrative tasks while also increasing their bookings in both the short- and long-term. Your hotel management system is not only important for your own day-to-day operations, but it’s a vital part of the overall guest experience. From the beginning of your guests’ online booking journey until the completion of their stay and their feedback once they return home, it is necessary for your hotel management technology to enhance their experience with your brand. Finding a hotel management system that offers the features you both need and want is necessary to effectively manage your hotel in a global economic climate.
Few of the best hotel management systems
1. Cloudbeds: Cloudbeds serves as an all-in-one hotel management system that can also connect your property to hundreds of channels (such as Booking.com and Orbitz) with real-time, two-way integration. It allows guests to make direct reservations through their desktop or mobile device, or even via Facebook.
2. eZee Frontdesk: eZee Frontdesk is used by boutique hotels, hostels/lodges, resorts, and small hotels in 140 countries, the company claims. More than one million daily transactions in 104 countries happen across this hotel property management solution, resulting in 90,000 rooms managed across the globe. eZee Frontdesk has more than 4,700 customers and 70,500 users.
3. Hotelogix PMS: Hotelogix was developed specifically for small and midsize hotels, and is used by more than 10,000 properties worldwide. This solution launched in 2009 and now boasts customers in more than 100 countries.
4. OPERA Property Management System: Oracle’s hospitality OPERA Property is a comprehensive and scalable solution that is available at three levels (Premium, Standard, and Lite) and is also available for both cloud and installed deployment. Any property from boutique to chain hotels can make use of this popular solution.
How to select the most apt hotel management system?
Look at your hotel needs and areas of operation you want to simplify. You may also want to plot your future needs to ensure the software can scale up as and when you need it to. Make a list of the features you are looking for. One of the main deliverables of a hotel PMS is its business intelligence. Does the PMS you are evaluating give you a bunch of in-depth reports that assist decision making? Always check if the hotel PMS provider has been in the business for a considerable amount of time, has tested the solution across market segment and geographies if possible. A hotel cannot afford downtime, and so ensure your PMS provider also delivers high quality customer support. Take help of a qualified consultant or delegate someone from within the hotel with exposure to technology to access your needs before you opt for an ERP. This helps you understand you requirements more precisely.
Purpose of a hotel management system
1. Manage your bookings: Your property management system should help you efficiently and effectively manage your bookings. Neither you, nor your staff, should be tasked with manually inputting bookings and managing those across all your distribution channels. A property management system should automate the booking process for you, allowing you to escape the back office and focus more on interacting with your guests. In addition, it significantly reduces the risk of overbooking your rooms, which directly improves the guest experience at your property.
2. Influx of direct bookings: It should allow you to actively drive direct bookings to your website. Travellers today are more apt to book online than they are to call to finalise bookings or partner with a travel agent. Direct bookings allow you to maximise the revenue that you generate per booking. You should only consider software that integrates with an online booking engine.
3. Diverse channel management: Hotel management technology should allow you to easily implement your distribution strategy. Creating partnerships with different types of agents in the industry, such as OTAs and GDSs, is necessary to survive in a competitive, global climate. Managing hotel with software that offers a channel manager will allow you to create and implement a diverse distribution strategy that continually drives bookings.
4. A hotel website: Your software should help enhance your online presence. Your hotel management system is only effective if your guests can reach your brand. Choosing a program that offers a web editor or website creator will allow you to create a clean, appealing and user-friendly website that will encourage guests to book a stay at your property.
Advantages of having a hotel management system
1. Reduce time spent on everyday tasks: You can minimise the amount of time spent on administrative tasks. The right hotel management system will do a lot of the work for you, allowing you to focus your efforts and your energy on the big picture. The technology should also provide you with valuable data on how your employees perform their duties and how this affects employee retention, satisfaction and productivity. In today’s fast-paced travel environment, it’s critical that you automate as many tasks as possible. A property management system can help you tremendously with that.
2. Skyrocket the online presence: You can increase your brand presence online. Management software that is integrated with your website builder will allow you to accept direct online bookings and develop a user-friendly website. Naturally, this will increase your relevance in the search engine results and allow more travellers to discover your property during their online booking journey.
3. Better relationships with guests: You will develop a better rapport with your target market segment, while also identifying new markets to tap into. The types of travellers who have always loved staying at your property will appreciate the improved experience. In addition, your new technology will allow you to reach out to new markets that would not have otherwise discovered your brand.
4. Maintain your distribution: You will improve your reach throughout the industry. With a property management system in place that integrates with a channel manager, you will be able to advertise across many channels whilst maintaining rate parity. From the large OTAs and GDSs to individual retail travel agents, you can provide real-time booking information to your agents that will drive bookings.
5. Boost your revenue: You can implement a beneficial revenue management strategy. Using innovative pricing tools that allow you to create a flexible room pricing strategy, you can maximise the revenue that you generate per room at any given moment. Pricing your rooms right is the key to succeeding in this competitive industry, and having these tools available can help you significantly.
6. Increase direct bookings: You will ultimately increase your bookings. At the end of the day, the point of every feature within your hotel management business solution is to boost the bookings that you get at your hotel. Whether you want to increase your off-season bookings or you want to expand your offerings to new market segments, you will be successful if you select the right hotel management software for your property.
So, now you know why it is the crux of matter to have a hotel management system! A hotel management system aids you to boost your hotel bookings and revenue on the go. Also, it can assist you to build better relationships with your guests by exceeding their expectations. Schedule a demo with us and we will show how to implement a management system in your hotel via AI-backed chatbots and more. It’s never too late! Pick your slot now.